Cả EXCEPT FOR / EXCEPT / EXCEPT THAT đều mang nghĩa ngoại trừ
1. EXCEPT + noun = EXCEPT FOR + noun
Dùng except hay except for đều theo sau đó là 1 noun, cách dùng và nghĩa không thay đổi
Xét ví dụ:
- The museum is open daily except Monday(s).
- The government has few options except to keep interest rates high.
- It's cool and quiet everywhere except in the kitchen.
- Everyone was there except for Sally.
- There is nothing to indicate the building's past, except (for) the fireplace.
- She won't eat anything except chicken nuggets and chips.
- The proposed change in the law would make abortion illegal except for strictly defined medical reasons.
- She rarely ventured outside, except when she went to stock up on groceries at the corner shop.
- The soldiers slept at night, except for one who stayed awake to keep watch.
2. EXCEPT THAT + MỆNH ĐỀ (THEO SAU LÀ S+V)
- The twins look exactly alike except (that) one is slightly taller.
- I want to go, except that I'm tired.
- The exam went pretty well, except that I misread the final question.