I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng động từ"stretch"
1."stretch" vừa là nội động từ vừa là ngoại động từ
2. Cách dùng
2.1. Mang nghĩa"kéo dãn ra"
=to pull something to make it longer or wider/When something soft or elastic stretches or is stretched, it becomes longer or bigger as well as thinner, usually because it is pulled.
- I’ll have to get these shoes stretched.
- Her new knitted dress had stretched.
- a folding chair made of white canvas stretched on a metal frame
- The little birds are caught in nets stretched between the trees.
- The cables are designed not to stretch.
- Ease the pastry into the corners of the tin, making sure you don't stretch it.
2.2. Mang nghĩa"dãn ra (vải,...)"
=if a material such as cloth stretches, it becomes wider or longer when you pull it, and returns to its original shape and size when you stop pulling it
- When you’re pregnant it helps to wear fabrics that stretch as you grow.
2.3. Mang nghĩa"dãn cơ"
=to make your arms, legs, or body as straight as possible so that your muscles become long and tight/When you stretch, you put your arms or legs out straight and tighten your muscles.
- I leaned back in the chair and stretched.
- This exercise strengthens the lower back and stretches the hamstrings.
- He stretched his hand towards her.
- to stretch one's legs (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: duỗi chân đứng lên đi (sau khi ngồi nhiều))
- to lay stretched on the ground (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: nằm dài dưới đất)
- He yawned and stretched.
- Try stretching your legs and pulling your toes upwards.
- She arched her back and stretched herself.
2.4. Mang nghĩa"trải dài (không gian)"
=to continue for a particular distance/Something that stretches over an area or distance covers or exists in the whole of that area or distance.
- The empire stretched all the way from Scotland to the Pyrenees.
- The beach stretches for miles in each direction.
- Old grey houses stretched into the distance.
- The traffic stretched as far as the eye could see.
- The procession stretched for several miles.
- He had burns that stretched from his neck to his hips.
- ...an artificial reef stretching the length of the coast
2.5. Mang nghĩa"kéo dài (khoảng thời gian)"
=to continue for a particular period of time/If an event or activity stretches or is stretched into a further period of time, it continues into that period, which is later than expected
- Paul’s initial two months’ work experience ultimately stretched to five.
- Negotiations had now stretched into a twelfth day.
- They had an unbeaten record stretching back to 1995.
- ...as anti-abortion protests stretched into their second week.
- The talks could be stretched into the summer of next year.
- ...a working day that stretches from seven in the morning to eight at night.
2.6. Mang nghĩa"đủ tiền để chi trả, kéo dài (tiền bạc, nguồn lực...)để đáp ứng những nhu cầu, có đủ để đáp ứng những nhu cầu"
=to have enough money to pay for something/If your resources can stretch to something, you can just afford to do it/If something stretches your money or resources, it uses them up so you have hardly enough for your needs.
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- I don’t really think my salary will stretch to a designer suit.
- At best, police resources are stretched.
- Medical services were stretched to the limit.
- He couldn't stretch out his money to the end of the month (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: nó không thể có đủ tiền (chi tiêu) đến cuối tháng)
- They're used to stretching their budgets.
- During his senior year his earnings stretched far enough to buy an old car
- She suggested to me that I might like to start regular savings and I said 'Well, I don't know whether I can stretch to that.'
- The drought there is stretching American resources.
- Public expenditure was being stretched to the limit
2.7. Mang nghĩa"kéo dài từ cái gì đến cái gì"
=If a group of things stretch from one type of thing to another, the group includes a wide range of things.
- ...a trading empire, with interests that stretched from chemicals to sugar.
2.8. Mang nghĩa"cái gì bắt ai phải làm việc rất chăm chỉ, đòi hỏi nhiều ở (ai hoặc khả năng.. của ai)"
=If you say that a job or task stretches you, you mean that you like it because it makes you work hard and use all your energy and skills so that you do not become bored or achieve less than you should.
- I'm trying to move on and stretch myself with something different.
- The race really stretched him (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: cuộc đua đã thật sự đòi hỏi rất nhiều ở anh ta)
- They criticised the quality of teaching, claiming pupils were not stretched enough.
Các khóa học IELTS online 1 kèm 1 - 100% cam kết đạt target 6.0 - 7.0 - 8.0 - Đảm bảo đầu ra - Thi không đạt, học lại FREE
>> Thành tích học sinh IELTS TUTOR với hàng ngàn feedback được cập nhật hàng ngày