I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng động từ"cripple"
1."cripple" là ngoại động từ
2. Cách dùng
2.1. Mang nghĩa"làm què, làm tàn tật, làm tê liệt"
=If someone is crippled by an injury, it is so serious that they can never move their body properly again.
- Mr Easton was seriously crippled in an accident and had to leave his job.
- He had been warned that another bad fall could cripple him for life.
- Polio is a terrible disease that used to cripple millions of children. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Bệnh bại liệt là một chứng bịnh khủng khiếp từng làm cho hàng triệu trẻ em bị què quặt)
- He heaved his crippled leg into an easier position.
2.2. Mang nghĩa"làm hỏng, phá hỏng; làm lụn bại"
=To cripple a machine, organization, or system means to damage it severely or prevent it from working properly.
- Let's try to cripple their communications.
- A total cut-off of supplies would cripple the country's economy.
- the ship was crippled by the storm (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: chiếc tàu đã bị bão làm hỏng)
- The pilot was able to maneuver the crippled aircraft out of the hostile area.
2.3. Mang nghĩa"làm tê liệt"
=If something cripples a person, it causes them severe psychological or emotional problems.
- Howard wanted to be a popular singer, but stage fright crippled him.
- to cripple someone's efforts (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: làm tê liệt cố gắng của ai)
- I'm not perfect but I'm also not emotionally crippled or lonely.