I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng
1."distinction"vừa là danh từ đếm được vừa không đếm được
2. Cách dùng
2.1. Mang nghĩa"sự khác biệt hoặc tương phản giữa người/vật này với người/vật kia"
=A distinction between similar things is a difference/a difference between two things In practice, these distinctions are often blurred (=not made very clear).
- There are obvious distinctions between the two wine-making areas.
- The distinction between craft and fine art is more controversial.
- He drew a quite artificial distinction between men and women readers (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: anh ta vạch ra sự khác biệt hoàn toàn giả tạo giữa độc giả nam và nữ)
- Without distinction of rank, age (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: không phân biệt cấp bậc, tuổi tác)
- Do other countries have the same distinction between amateur and professional athletes that we do?
- Medical literature does not always make a distinction between the two terms.
- This would lead to a clear distinction between management and the workforce.
2.2. Mang nghĩa"nét đặc biệt; nét độc đáo"
=If you say that someone or something has the distinction of being something, you are drawing attention to the fact that they have the special quality of being that thing/an unusual achievement or feature that makes someone or something different from other people or things
- Distinction is normally used to refer to good qualities, but can sometimes also be used to refer to bad qualities.
- He has the distinction of being regarded as the country's greatest living writer.
- to lack distinction (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: thiếu màu sắc riêng, thiếu độc đáo)
- distinctions of birth and wealth (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: những nét đặc biệt về dòng dõi và tài sản)
- She holds the distinction of having been the first woman editor of the Harvard Law Review.
- The country has gained the dubious distinction of being one of the world’s most dangerous places for journalists.
2.3. Mang nghĩa"tước hiệu/danh hiệu danh dự"
=A distinction is a special award or honour that is given to someone because of their very high level of achievement/a very high mark in an examination
- The order was created in 1902 as a special distinction for eminent men and women.
- I did an M.A. at Liverpool University in Latin American Studies and got a distinction.
- She got a distinction in her piano exam.
- an academic distinction (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: danh hiệu học thuật; học vị)
- to win a distinction for bravery (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: được thưởng huân chương vì lòng dũng cảm)
- Kevin graduated with distinction in history and law.
2.4. Mang nghĩa"sự ưu tú; sự xuất chúng; sự lỗi lạc"
=Distinction is the quality of being very good or better than other things of the same type/the excellent qualities, skills, or features that someone or something has
- Lewis emerges as a composer of distinction and sensitivity.
- ...pieces of furniture of distinction.
- men of distinction (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: những người lỗi lạc)
- a novel , work of distinction (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: tiểu thuyết, công trình xuất sắc)
- We are fortunate that so many people of distinction and talent are present.