I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng danh từ"chance"
1."chance"vừa là danh từ đếm được vừa không đếm được
2. Cách dùng
2.1. Mang nghĩa"cơ hội làm việc gì"
=If you have a chance to do something, you have the opportunity to do it/used for talking about the opportunities that someone has in life
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- Với nghĩa này, chance là danh từ đếm được
- get/have a chance
- the chance to do something
- chance for
- blow your chance (=have an opportunity but not use it well)
- given the chance (=if you had the opportunity)
- give/offer/provide a chance
- jump at/seize/grab a chance (=use an opportunity when it appears)
- a second/another chance
- The electoral council announced that all eligible people would get a chance to vote.
- I felt I had to give him a chance.
- We work together whenever we get a chance.
- Participants are given the chance to learn another language.
- The meetings are very short, so there is little chance for real discussion.
- They’ve blown their chance of getting the money back.
- to stand a chance of something /of doing something (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: có cơ may làm được điều gì)
- What would you say, given the chance to talk to her again?
- The show provides a chance for the public to look at all the latest software.
- Gina got up to leave and Sam, seizing his chance, followed her out.
- These players deserve another chance. last chance: I warned her that this was her last chance.
- Unemployment is clearly associated with reduced life chances.
2.2. Mang nghĩa"khả năng có thể xảy ra việc gì"
=If there is a chance of something happening, it is possible that it will happen/the possibility that something will happen
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- Với nghĩa này, chance vừa là danh từ đếm được, vừa không đếm được
- a chance of (doing) something
- chance (that)
- a good/fair/slim chance
- not stand a chance (=be not at all likely to be able to do something)
- a fighting chance (=a chance to succeed if you try very hard)
- a fifty-fifty chance/an even chance (=a situation in which the chances of something happening or not happening are equal)
- Do you think they have a chance of beating Australia?
- This partnership has a good chance of success.
- is there any chance of getting tickets for tonight's performance? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: liệu có (khả năng) lấy được vé cho buổi biểu diễn tối nay không?)
- The specialist who carried out the brain scan thought Tim's chances of survival were still slim.
- There was really very little chance that Ben would ever have led a normal life.
- The chance of rain is less than 20%.
- For the first time in 15 years, they have a realistic chance of winning an election.
- Is there any chance they will reverse their decision?
- There is now only a slim chance that a recession can be avoided.
- He doesn’t stand a chance of winning the tournament.
- We still have a fighting chance of beating them if we keep our minds on the game.
- He had a fifty-fifty chance of surviving the operation.
2.3. Mang nghĩa"tình cờ"
=the way things happen without being planned or expected
- The results may simply be due to chance.
- by chance (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: tình cờ, ngẫu nhiên)
- it was (pure ) chance that we met in Paris (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: chúng tôi gặp nhau ở Pari là điều hoàn toàn ngẫu nhiên)
- It was simply by chance that Nicholson was cast in the film.
- Pure chance had brought us together that day.