I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Phân biệt "lastly" "finally" & "at last"
1. Ngữ pháp
2. Cách dùng
2.1. At last (at long last)
Mang nghĩa "cuối cùng thì (có sự nhẹ nhõm, mong chờ trong đó - dùng khi có sự chậm trễ kéo dài dẫn đến sự mất kiên nhẫn)
= AT LAST is used when there has been impatience, a discomfort or a feeling which was the result of long delays.
- After a two-hour delay, Tom's plane has landed at last.
- When he arrived at last, I was so angry that I refused to talk to him.
- We use at last when we have been impatient as a result of long delays.
- At last I’ve discovered how to print envelopes on my printer!
- She has at last given me the book she promised me.
- They’re here at last!! We’ve been waiting half an hour.
Mang nghĩa "cuối cùng là"
= We use finally to refer to something that happened after a long time and usually after some difficulties. FINALLY could be used either for positive or negative results.
- Our economy must increase productivity, reduce unemployment and finally develop competition.
- There were no taxis and we finally got home at 2 pm.
- She’s had over twenty interviews but Jasmine has finally got a job as a journalist.
Mang nghĩa "cái cuối cùng trong 1 list (Để chỉ một cái gì đó xuất hiện ở cuối một danh sách dài)"
= It can also introduce the last element in a series. LASTLY refers to an element that comes at the end of a long list / We use lastly to refer to something that comes at the end of a long list
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- We must buy flour, chocolate, butter, eggs and finally/ lastly some baking powder to make a cake for Kym's birthday.
- We need eggs, milk, sugar, bread and, lastly, we mustn’t forget yoghurt for Dad.
- I’ve thanked my parents, but lastly I must thank all my friends for their help.