I. Từ vựng topic brain drain
- Brain Drain (noun): Chảy máu chất xám = human capital flight (từ chuyên ngành hơn)
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- The brain drain is likely to endure.
- Britain has suffered a huge brain drain in recent years.
- Dịch: Nước Anh đã gánh một đòn lớn từ chảy máu chất xám trong những năm gần đây.
- There are fears that cuts in science funding could lead to a brain drain to the US.
- Dịch: Nhiều người lo rằng việc cắt giảm quỹ cho ngành khoa học có thể dẫn đến chảy máu chất xám đến nước Mỹ.
- Faced with a brain drain, the aerospace industry is thinking of creative ways to attract and keep talent
- Dịch: Đối mặt với chảy máu chất xám, ngành hàng không vũ trụ đang nghĩ cách sáng tạo để thu hút và giữ nhân tài.
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- push and pull factors: tác động đẩy và kéo
- Cùng IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- Warm weather and a low living costs are two of the pull factors drawing retirees to Texas (IELTS TUTOR giải thích tức là warm weather và living costs là những điểm thu hút người nghỉ hưu đến Texas)
- Instead of a fruitless attempt to eliminate illegal immigration, rich countries could focus on reducing the push factors that force some to flee - chiefly poverty and persecution. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích push factor có nghĩa là tác động mà đẩy người ta ra khỏi 1 nơi nào đó)
- Cùng IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- educated people
- IELTS TUTOR đã hướng dẫn kĩ sự khác nhau educated và educational nhớ tham khảo kĩ nhé
- Social unrest, political conflicts and wars
- determining causes
- sending countries
- more favorable geographic, economic, or professional environments
- justice workshop
- Work inland
II. Bài đọc topic brain drain
1. Bài 1
Brain drain, which is the action of having highly skilled and educated people leaving their country to work abroad, has become one of the developing countries concern. Brain drain is also referred to as human capital flight. More and more third world science and technology educated people are heading for more prosperous countries seeking higher wages and better working conditions. This has of course serious consequences on the sending countries.
While many people believe that immigration is a personal choice that must be understood and respected, others look at the phenomenon from a different perspective. What makes those educated people leave their countries should be seriously considered and a distinction between push and pull factors must be made. The push factors include low wages and lack of satisfactory working and living conditions. Social unrest, political conflicts and wars may also be determining causes. The pull factors, however, include intellectual freedom and substantial funds for research.
Brain drain has negative impact on the sending countries economic prospects and competitiveness. It reduces the number of dynamic and creative people who can contribute to the development of their country. Likewise, with more entrepreneurs taking their investments abroad, developing countries are missing an opportunity of wealth creation. This has also negative consequences on tax revenue and employment.
Most of the measures taken so far have not had any success in alleviating the effects of brain drain. A more global view must take into consideration the provision of adequate working and living conditions in the sending countries. An other option should involve encouraging the expatriates to contribute their skill to the development of their countries without necessarily physically relocating.
1.1. Câu hỏi của bài đọc
Another term for brain drain is:
a. capital flight
b. human capital flight
To address the problem of brain drain we should understand:
a. the causes.
b. the effects.
Brain drain has terrible consequences on the economic development of :
a. sending countries
b. receiving countries
To limit the negative impact of brain drain, expatriates should
a. come back to their home countries for good.
b. try to help their home countries while staying there.
1.2. Đáp án bài đọc
2. Bài 2
The term “brain drain” means the loss of skilled intellectual and technical labor through the movement of such labors to more favorable geographic, economic, or professional environments. Brain drain occurs in developing countries such as Vietnam, Malaysia, South American nations and the island nations of Caribbean. In Vietnam, this is a serious matter.
There are many reasons for Vietnamese to choose to work in another country. First of all, if they work abroad or for foreign companies, their salaries can be much higher than those they get when working for Vietnam companies. In addition, in developed countries such as Singapore, Japan, Australia and many Western countries - favorable lands to a lot of Vietnamese, living standards are high. Their relatives can live more comfortably, and their children can receive good education.
The second reason is professional environment in developed countries. Working in a competitive but justice workshop, people of great talents can express themselves to advance in their careers. They are relatively free to try their new ideas. They cannot do that in most Vietnam companies and agencies where people are still reserved and even afraid of ideas that are so new or daring. This is the reason for many overseas students to choose to live overseas instead of returning home.
In addition, everybody should change their mind. Let think about patriotism and responsibility for our motherland. We object to unfair conventions, we know that our country needs to change. However, who will change it when all people of talent have leave?