Bên cạnh Hướng dẫn đề thi IELTS 21/11/2020 bài WRITING TASK 2 về Relocating Business to Regional Areas (kèm bài sửa của học sinh đi thi), IELTS TUTOR hướng dẫn cách dùng Cấu trúc "if it were not for/if it had not been for/were it not for..."
I. if it were not for + noun/if it had not been for + noun
Mang nghĩa "Nếu mà không có.."
= without / in the absence of (something or someone)
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- if it were not for + noun dùng cho câu điều kiện loại 2 (But for/ without/ were it not for + noun, S would/ could/ should + V)
- if it had not been for + noun dùng cho câu điều kiện loại 3
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- If it hadn’t been for the two men who rescued me, I’d probably have drowned.
- If it weren’t for the fact that he’s my father, I’d accuse him in public.
- If someone or something hadn't helped, intervened, or affected the situation in some way.
- If it were not for your donations, many more children would go hungry.
II. Đảo ngữ "Were it not for + noun" / Had It Not Been For + noun
- If it hadn’t been for your help, I wouldn’t have succeeded => Had it not been for your help, I wouldn’t have succeeded.
- Had it not been so late, we would have called you.
- Were it not for the strikes, we would have seen much better results
- All could have been forgiven or tolerated, were it not for that financial scandal. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Đáng lẽ người ta đã có thể cho qua mọi chuyện nếu không xảy ra vụ bê bối tài chính đó)
- The teacher explained and we understood → Were it not for the teacher’s explanation, we wouldn’t have understood.
- Were it not for those quick-thinking bystanders, I wouldn't be alive today.
- Other forces caused the drop in sales and even that the drop would have been deeper had it not been for the ad campaign. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Có những tác động khác gây ra giảm sút doanh số và thậm chí sự sụt giảm còn trầm trọng hơn nếu không có chiến dịch quảng cáo)