Hôm trước, IELTS TUTOR đã hướng dẫn em từng bước cách làm IELTS READING dạng bài Fill in the gap (có cho sẵn options), hôm nay IELTS TUTOR hướng dẫn Cách dùng be supposed to do/be something""not supposed to" tiếng anh
I. Cách dùng"be supposed to do/be something"
1. Mang nghĩa "có nghĩa vụ phải làm gì
=to have to; to have a duty or a responsibility to
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- The whole conference was totally disorganized - nobody knew what they were supposed to be doing.
- The appointments are supposed to be made without fear or favour.
- You know full well that you're not supposed to go there without asking me!
- You're supposed to put the handbrake on whenever you stop on a hill.
- You aren't supposed to stop. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Bạn không được dừng lại)
- I was supposed to be working this evening but what the hell - I'll see you in the pub in half an hour.
- The children are supposed to be at school by 8.45 a.m.
- What are you doing out of bed - you're supposed to be asleep.
- You're not supposed (= allowed) to park here.
- He is supposed to help them. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Anh ấy có bổn phận giúp đỡ họ)
- That's supposed to be top secret. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Đó là tin tuyệt mật mà)
- What am I supposed to do? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Nghĩa vụ của tôi phải làm gì?)
- We 're supposed to go this way. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Chúng ta phải đi lối này)
2. Mang nghĩa "được mong đợi"
=to be intended to/to be expected or intended to happen in a particular way or to have a particular result
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- These batteries are supposed to last for a year.
- We were supposed to have gone away this week, but Debbie's ill so we couldn't go.
- How am I supposed to (= how can I) find that much money by the end of the week?
- Latin America is supposed to be a pretty inexpensive place to travel in.
- This restaurant is supposed to make excellent salads.
- We was supposed to be companions. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Chúng tôi được cho là những người bạn đồng hành)
- The new regulations are supposed to help single parents.
- Today was supposed to have been sunny, but it’s raining.
- 'The Whipping Block' has never been published, but it's supposed to be a really good poem.
- 'The President cannot be disturbed,' his son is supposed to have told an early morning caller.
II. Cách dùng"not supposed to""
Mang nghĩa"không được làm gì"
=If you are not supposed to do something you are not allowed to do it
- You're not supposed to park here.
III. Cách dùng"was supposed to"
Mang nghĩa"đáng lẽ phải/đã.."
=If something was supposed to happen, it was planned or intended to happen, but did not in fact happen.
- He was supposed to go back to Bergen on the last bus, but of course the accident prevented him.
- The first debate was supposed to have been held on Tuesday.