I. Giới thiệu chung
1. Dùng"rather"như adv
- I’m feeling rather tired.
- She’s been treated rather badly.
- He rather enjoys telling other people what to do.
- ‘Would you like to come for a ride?’ ‘Rather!’
2. Dùng"rather"như predeterminer (từ chỉ định)
=as a predeterminer (followed by ‘a’)
- This is rather a good wine.
3. Dùng"rather than"như liên từ (conjunction)
- It would be better to make a decision now, rather than leave it until later.
II. Cách dùng
1. Mang nghĩa"đúng hơn, hơn là"
=to a fairly large degree some rather nice chocolate biscuits/a little too much, or to a degree that is slightly too great
- He was rather a handsome boy.
- I realize that I’ve been rather stupid and selfish.
- Matt left rather suddenly without any explanation.
- It is derived rather from imagination than reason (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: điều đó xuất phát từ tưởng tượng hơn là từ lý trí)
- The problem is rather more complicated than we had expected.
- Don’t you think she’s rather young to be travelling abroad on her own?
- It’s a good essay, but rather long.
- Toby had drunk rather too much.
2. Mang nghĩa"dĩ nhiên là có; có chứ (nhấn mạnh trong khi trả lời)"
=used for introducing a true statement after saying that another statement is not true
- The purpose of Paxton’s book was not to make accusations.
- Do you know him ? - rather ! (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: anh có biết anh đó không? có chứ!)
- Have you been here before ? - rather! (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: trước đây anh có ở đây không? dĩ nhiên là có!)
- Rather, it was to provide information on which accusations might be based.
- Our aim was not to punish the rich, but rather to bring justice to the poor.
3. Mang nghĩa"hoặc là"
=used for correcting what you have just said
- He couldn’t help us, or rather he didn’t want to.
- Who is Fred anyway, or rather who was he?