I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng "only" như liên từ (Conjunction)
1. Mang nghĩa"mỗi tội, chỉ phải cái, chỉ có điều, trừ cái gì đó ra..."
=Only can be used to add a comment which slightly changes or limits what you have just said.
- It's just as dramatic as a film, only it's real. It's a bit like my house, only nicer.
- Drop in and see me when you're ready. Only don't take too long about it.
- he does well , only he is nervous at the start (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: anh ta làm được, chỉ phải cái là lúc đầu hay cuống)
- this film is very interesting, only it's rather pornographic (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: phim này hay lắm, chỉ phải cái là hơi khiêu dâm)
2. Mang nghĩa"nếu... không"
=Only can be used after a clause with 'would' to indicate why something is not done.
- He would probably pass his examination only he gets too self-confident (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: có thể nó đã thi đỗ nếu như nó không quá tự tin)
- I'd invite you to come with me, only it's such a long way.
- I'd be quite happy to go. Only I don't know what my kids would say about living there.