I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng giới từ"onto"tiếng anh
1. Mang nghĩa"về phía trên, lên trên"
=If something moves or is put onto an object or surface, it is then on that object or surface/You can sometimes use onto to mention the place or area that someone moves into.
- I took my bags inside, lowered myself onto the bed and switched on the TV.
- Smear Vaseline on to your baby's skin to prevent soreness.
- The players emerged onto the field.
- to get onto a horse (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: nhảy lên mình ngựa)
- the boat was driven onto the rocks (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: con thuyền bọ trôi giạt lên trên những tảng đá)
- ...when the photographer sets off onto the moors.
- Paste posters onto the wall. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Hãy dán áp phích lên tường đi)
- Dust sugar onto a cake. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Rắc đường lên bánh đi)
- Alex turned his car on to the Albert Quay and drove along until he found a parking place.
2. Mang nghĩa"về hướng, về phía"
=You can use onto to introduce the place towards which a light or someone's look is directed.
- ...the metal part of the door onto which the sun had been shining.
- The colours rotated round on a disc and were reflected onto the wall behind.
- ...the house with its leafy garden and its view on to Regent's Park.
- ...windows opening onto carved black-wood balconies.
- Hotels that front onto the sea. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Những khách sạn quay mặt ra biển)
- The door opened onto a lighted hallway.
- ...a two-hundred-yard-wide strip of land that backs onto a large lake.
- As he stepped backwards she fell onto her knees, then onto her face.
- Puffing a little, Mabel shifted her weight onto her feet.
- I willed my eyes to open and heaved myself over on to my back.
3. Mang nghĩa"ở trên chỗ nào đó (tàu, xe, máy bay)"
=When you get onto a bus, train, or plane, you enter it in order to travel somewhere.
- As he got on to the plane, he asked me how I was feeling.
- Who can fold up a pushchair, toddler and shopping and then get them all onto the bus?
- 'I'll see you onto the train.'—'Thank you.'
4. Mang nghĩa"bám chặt (dùng với các verb: 'hold', 'hang', and 'cling')"
=Onto is used after verbs such as 'hold', ' hang', and ' cling' to indicate what someone is holding firmly or where something is being held firmly.
- The reflector is held onto the sides of the spacecraft with a frame.
- She was conscious of a second man hanging on to the rail.
- Hold onto her bag, won't you? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Giữ chặt túi xách của cô ấy nhé?)
- He held onto it obstinately. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Anh chàng ngoan cố nắm chặt)
- She had to cling onto the doorhandle until the pain passed.
5. Mang nghĩa"chuyển sang vấn đề khác"
=If people who are talking get onto a different subject, they begin talking about it.
- Let's get on to more important matters.
- So, if we could just move onto something else?
6. Mang nghĩa"thông báo, thuyết phục ai làm cái gì"
=If someone is onto something, they are about to discover something important.
- He leaned across the table and whispered to me, 'I'm really onto something.'
- Archaeologists knew they were onto something big when they started digging.
7. Mang nghĩa"Theo dõi ai để tìm ra hành động phạm tội của người đó"
=If someone is onto you, they have discovered that you are doing something illegal or wrong.
- He did not want Pollard to become suspicious that he was now onto him.
- She is onto her husband. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Cô ấy theo dõi chồng mình)
- I had told people what he had been doing, so now the police were onto him.
8. Mang nghĩa"Theo lịch trình"
=You can sometimes use onto to indicate that something or someone becomes included as a part of a list or system.
- The Macedonian question had failed to get on to the agenda.
- The pill itself has changed a lot since it first came onto the market.
- Twelve thousand workers will go onto a four-day week at their factory in Birmingham.