I. Suggest là ngoại động từ
II. Cách dùng
1. Mang nghĩa "đề nghị, gợi ý, tiến cử, đề cử (ai)"
=to offer an idea or a plan for someone to consider/If you suggest the name of a person or place, you recommend them to someone.
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- suggest what/why/where etc
- suggest doing something
- suggest something to somebody
- suggest itself
- suggest itself to somebody
- suggest (that)…
- it is suggested that…
- suggest somebody/something for something
- suggest somebody/something as something
- suggest somebody/something
- suggest how, what, etc…
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- Who would you suggest for the job?
- She suggested Paris as a good place for the conference.
- She suggested John as chairman.
- Can you suggest a better way of doing it?
- I'd like to suggest a different explanation for the company's decline.
- The designer is known for suggesting innovative ideas to her clients.
- He thought long and hard, but no answer suggested itself.
- A solution immediately suggested itself to me (= I immediately thought of a solution).
- I strongly suggest (that) you don't get involved.
- I suggested going in my car.
- It has been suggested that bright children take their exams early.
- The report suggested various ways in which the service could be improved.
- I suggest we have dinner first, and then watch the film.
- Can anyone suggest what we should do to increase sales?
- If there is a mechanical problem, we suggest contacting the manufacturer directly.
- Can I suggest something? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Tôi có đề nghị này, không biết có được không?)
- Can you suggest an inexpensive restaurant?
- The doctor suggested rest as an alternative to surgery.
- Could you suggest someone to advise me how to do this?
- They can suggest where to buy one.
- There is a suggested donation of $5 to attend the show.
- Can you suggest how I might contact him?
2. Mang nghĩa "ám chỉ; đưa ra giả thuyết là, nghĩ là"
to say that something is likely to exist or to be true/If you suggest that something is the case, you say something which you believe is the case.
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- The cause of the problem, as Hutton suggests, is the leadership’s refusal to accept any form of criticism.
- Are you seriously suggesting she did this on purpose?
- Are you suggesting (that) I’m lazy? I’m not suggesting (that) she was responsible for the accident.
- I would never suggest such a thing.
- I’m not suggesting that giving up smoking will be easy.
- As its name suggests, the Carlton Beach Hotel is situated near the sea.
- Evidence suggests a link between asthma and pollution.
- Recent research suggests that the drug may be beneficial to people with muscular disorders.
- I'm not suggesting that is what is happening.
- It is wrong to suggest that there are easy alternatives.
- Their success is conditional, I suggest, on this restriction.
3. Mang nghĩa"ngụ ý là"
=If one thing suggests another, it implies it or makes you think that it might be the case.
- Earlier reports suggested that a meeting would take place on Sunday.
- Its hairy body suggests a mammal.
4. Mang nghĩa"gợi; làm nảy ra trong trí"
=If one thing suggests another, it brings it to your mind through an association of ideas.
- This onomatopoeic word suggests to me the sound a mousetrap makes when it snaps shut.