I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng động từ"settle"
1."settle" vừa là nội động từ vừa là ngoại động từ
2. Cách dùng
2.1. Mang nghĩa"thu xếp ổn thoả, giải quyết vấn đề"
=If people settle an argument or problem, or if something settles it, they solve it, for example by making a decision about who is right or about what to do/If something is settled, it has all been decided and arranged. As far as we're concerned, the matter is settled.
- They agreed to try to settle their dispute by negotiation.
- Both sides are looking for ways to settle their differences.
- to settle a dispute (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: dàn xếp một mối bất hoà)
- to settle doubts (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: giải quyết những mối nghi ngờ)
- to settle one's affairs (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: giải quyết công việc (thường) là làm chúc thư)
- Tomorrow's vote is unlikely to settle the question of who will replace their leader
- That's settled then. We'll exchange addresses tonight.
2.2. Mang nghĩa"dàn xếp, hoà giải (luật, toà án)"
=If people settle a legal dispute or if they settle, they agree to end the dispute without going to a court of law, for example by paying some money or by apologizing.
- In an attempt to settle the case, Molken has agreed to pay restitution.
- She got much less than she would have done if she had settled out of court.
- His company settled with the authorities by paying a $200 million fine.
2.3. Mang nghĩa"thanh toán, trả (số tiền mắc nợ..)"
=If you settle a bill or debt, you pay the amount that you owe.
- I settled the bill for my coffee.
- They settled with Colin at the end of the evening.
2.4. Mang nghĩa"để lại cho, chuyển cho (của cải)"
=To settle money on someone means to formally give it to them, for example in a will.
2.5. Mang nghĩa"ổn định cuộc sống"
=When people settle a place or in a place, or when a government settles them there, they start living there permanently.
- Refugees settling in Britain suffer from a number of problems.
- He visited Paris and eventually settled there.
- The Dutch settled in South Africa (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: người Hà lan đến định cư ở Nam Phi)
- This area was settled by immigrants over a century ago (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: vùng đất này đã có dân nhập cư đến sinh sống hơn 100 năm nay)
- This was one of the first areas to be settled by Europeans.
- Thirty-thousand-million dollars is needed to settle the refugees.
- He settled himself on the sofa to watch TV (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: cậu ấy ngả người thoải mái xuống ghế sô pha để xem tivi)
- to settle in London (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: sinh sống ở Luân đôn)
- to settle near the coast (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: sinh sống ở gần bờ biển)
2.6. Mang nghĩa"an toạ, ổn định chỗ ngồi"
=If you settle yourself somewhere or settle somewhere, you sit down or make yourself comfortable.
- Albert settled himself on the sofa
- Jessica settled into her chair with a small sigh of relief.
2.1. Mang nghĩa"ổn định tại điểm nào đó, không tăng cũng không giảm"
=If something settles or if you settle it, it sinks slowly down and becomes still/to move to a lower level and stay there; to drop/to reach and remain at a certain level or in a certain state
- A black dust settled on the walls.
- Once its impurities had settled, the oil could be graded.
- The house had been empty for years, and dust had settled on all the surfaces.
- Do you think the snow will settle (= remain on the ground and other surfaces without melting)?
- The contents of this package may settle (= fall towards the bottom of the container and so seem to be less).
- Tap each one firmly on your work surface to settle the mixture
- The pound rose slightly against the dollar today, then settled at $1.53.
- A peaceful expression settled on her face.
- After the recent riots, an uneasy calm has settled on the city.
Các khóa học IELTS online 1 kèm 1 - 100% cam kết đạt target 6.0 - 7.0 - 8.0 - Đảm bảo đầu ra - Thi không đạt, học lại FREE
>> Thành tích học sinh IELTS TUTOR với hàng ngàn feedback được cập nhật hàng ngày