I. "point"vừa là nội động từ vừa ngoại động từ
II. Cách dùng
1. Mang nghĩa"chĩa cái gì vào ai/cái gì"
=If you point at a person or thing, you hold out your finger towards them in order to make someone notice them/to aim an object at someone or something
- to point one's finger at somebody /something (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: chỉ tay của mình vào ai/cái gì)
- to point a gun at somebody (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: chĩa súng vào ai)
- I pointed at the boy sitting nearest me.
- He pointed at me with the stem of his pipe.
- He pointed to a chair, signalling for her to sit.
- All you have to do is point the camera and shoot.
- He pointed his rifle at the deer and pulled the trigger.
2. Mang nghĩa"chỉ trỏ"
=If you point something at someone, you aim the tip or end of it towards them.
- it's rude to point (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: chỉ tay vào ai thì thật là khiếm nhã)
- that's the man who did it , she said , pointing at me (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: chính người này đã làm điều ấy - cô ta nói, chỉ về phía tôi)
- a compass needle points (to the ) north (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: mũi kim của la bàn chỉ (về) hướng bắc)
- the clock hand points to twelve (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: kim đồng hồ chỉ đúng mười hai (đúng ngọ hoặc nửa đêm))
- David Khan pointed his finger at Mary.
- A man pointed a gun at them and pulled the trigger.
- Don’t point. They’ll know we’re looking at them.
- He pointed his stick in the direction of the path.
- She pointed at the ice cream that she wanted. point to: He pointed to the dog as it ran towards them.
3. Mang nghĩa"chỉ đường"
=to show a particular direction or place, usually using a sign or symbol/to show someone the direction in which they should go/to show someone what they should do
- An arrow pointed to the toilets.
- You can go anywhere and still the compass points north or south.
- He controlled the car until it was pointing forwards again.
- The arrow pointed left towards the exit door. Is the little hand pointing to 3 or 4?
- Could you point me in the direction of the lobby?
- The results of the study will point towards areas for further research.
- a great thinker who was pointing the way to the future
4. (to point to/towards something ) chỉ rõ, vạch rõ
=If something points to a particular situation, it suggests that the situation exists or is likely to occur/If you point to something that has happened or that is happening, you are using it as proof that a particular situation exists.
- I can't point to any one particular reason for it (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: tôi không thể đưa ra bất cứ lý do đặc biệt nào cho việc đó)
- all the evidence points to his guilt (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: tất cả các chứng cứ đã vạch rõ tội phạm của hắn)
- Earlier reports pointed to pupils working harder, more continuously, and with enthusiasm.
- Private polls and embassy reports pointed to a no vote.
- George Fodor points to other weaknesses in the way the campaign has progressed.
- Gooch last night pointed to their bowling as the key to World Cup success