I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng động từ"lie" mang nghĩa "nằm"
1."lie"là nội động từ
2. Word form
- Dạng ving của lie: lying
- Động từ cột 2: lay
- Động từ cột 3: lain
3. Cách dùng
3.1. nằm (cho người/cho vật/cho địa danh mang nghĩa located/situated ở vị trí)
3.1.1. Mang nghĩa "nằm" khi đối tượng là người
=If you are lying somewhere, you are in a horizontal position and are not standing or sitting.
- There was a child lying on the ground.
- The injured man was lying motionless on his back.
- He lay awake watching her for a long time.
- I spend rainy days lying on my couch. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Tôi dành cả ngày mưa nằm dài trên đi văng).
- She was lying on the bed watching television.
- I lay awake worrying about work.
- The fat cat likes to lie in the sun. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Mèo béo thích nằm phơi nắng)
- Emma was lying on her back in the sunshine.
3.1.2. Mang nghĩa "nằm" khi đối tượng là vật
=If an object lies in a particular place, it is in a flat position in that place.
- ...a newspaper lying on a nearby couch.
- Broken glass lay scattered on the carpet.
- the ship is lying at the port (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: con tàu thả neo nằm ở bên cảng)
- ...a two-page memo lying unread on his desk.
3.1.3. Mang nghĩa "nằm" khi đối tượng là địa danh
=If you say that a place lies in a particular position or direction, you mean that it is situated there.
- The islands lie at the southern end of the Kurile chain.
3.2. Mang nghĩa"giữ nguyên một tình trạng nào đó"
=You can use lie to say that something is or remains in a particular state or condition.
- For example, if something lies forgotten, it has been and remains forgotten.
- She turned back to the Bible lying open in her lap.
- The picture lay hidden in the archives for over 40 years.
- His country's economy lies in ruins.
3.3. Mang nghĩa"đạt thứ hạng"
=You can use lie to say what position a competitor or team is in during a competition.
- I was going well and was lying fourth.
- She is lying in second place.
- O’Connell is currently lying in second position in the world championship.
- As we go into the third round, Evans is lying in third place.
3.4. Mang nghĩa"vấn đề nằm ở, cái gây ra vấn đề"
=You can talk about where something such as a problem, solution, or fault lies to say what you think it consists of, involves, or is caused by.
- The problem lay in the large amounts spent on defence.
- He realised his future lay elsewhere.
- We must be clear about where the responsibility lies.
- The difficulty lies in knowing what to do next.
3.5. Mang nghĩa"nằm xuống, ngã xuống, chết"
=Lie is used in formal English, especially on gravestones, to say that a dead person is buried in a particular place
- The inscription reads: Here lies Catin, the son of Magarus.
- My uncle lies in the small cemetery a few miles up this road
3.6. Mang nghĩa"có sở thích"
=if your interest lies in a particular subject, you are interested in it
- My main interest lies in the development of new technology.
3.7. Các phrasal verb với "lay"
III. Cách dùng động từ"lie" mang nghĩa "nói dối"
1. Word form
- Dạng ving của lie: lying
- Động từ cột 2 (past tense): lied
- Động từ cột 3 (past participle): lied
2. Cách dùng
Mang nghĩa"nói dối, dối lừa"
=to deliberately say something that is not true It was obvious that she was lying.
- He had to lie about his age to get into the army.
- She admitted lying to the police.
- They say they’re not married but they’re lying through their teeth.
- I know he's lying.
- Sometimes children lie to get out of trouble. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Đôi khi bọn trẻ nói dối để thoát khỏi rắc rối).
- If asked, he lies about his age.
- We are surprisingly poor at judging when people are lying to us.
- He reportedly called her 'a lying little twit'
- I can always tell when my friend is lying because she bites her lip. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Tôi luôn biết khi nào bạn tôi đang nói dối bởi vì cô ấy cắn môi).