I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng danh từ"thing"
1."thing"là danh từ đếm được
2. Cách dùng
2.1. Mang nghĩa"cái, đồ, vật, thứ, điều, việc, món"
=You can use thing to refer to any object, feature, or event when you cannot, need not, or do not want to refer to it more precisely.
- 'What's that thing in the middle of the fountain?'—'Some kind of statue, I guess.'
- She was in the middle of clearing the breakfast things.
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- A strange thing happened.
- expensive things (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: những thứ đắt tiền)
- We get blamed for all kinds of things
- my painting things (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: bộ đồ vẽ của tôi)
2.2. Mang nghĩa"hoàn cảnh, tình hình"
=You can use thing to refer in a vague way to a situation, activity, or idea, especially when you want to suggest that it is not very important/Things can refer to the situation or life in general and the way it is changing or affecting you
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- kind/sort of thing
- be onto a good thing (=in a good situation, job, arrangement etc)
- in all things
- make a big thing out of something (=behave as if something is more important, serious, dangerous etc than it really is)
- the sad/weird/funny etc thing is
- it’s a good/bad thing that
- I'm a bit unsettled tonight.
- This war thing's upsetting me.
- These folks clearly take this ballroom thing very seriously.
- ...the man who had spoken dismissively of the 'vision thing' when running for the presidency in 1988
- Everyone agrees things are getting better.
- things are going from bad to worse (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: tình hình đang xấu thêm)
- A change of ownership might improve things.
- How are things going?
- A funny thing happened to me today.
- I think we should just forget the whole thing.
- She doesn’t find that kind of thing funny.
- We’re onto a good thing working here.
- Above all else, you must be honest in all things.
- Don’t make a big thing out of this – I just said I’d be late!
- The thing I really like about Theresa is her sense of humour.
- The sad thing is, she never loved him.
- It’s a good thing that you don’t need to work late.
2.3. Mang nghĩa"nhiệm vụ, quá trình hành động.."
=an action, or an activity I have a lot of things to do today.
2.4. Mang nghĩa"vấn đề, công việc"
=all of the aspects of a particular situation/used for talking about life in a general way
- The police soon got things under control.
- Try to see things from your wife’s perspective.
- All things considered, I think you’ll be happier if you switch jobs.
- As things stand, it will be difficult to raise prices further.
- The official government report puts things quite differently.
- there's another thing I want to ask you about (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: còn một vấn đề nữa tôi muốn hỏi anh)
- Things have been getting better lately.
- The government hasn’t done much to change things in the countryside.
2.5. Mang nghĩa"cái thích đáng nhất, cái thích hợp nhất, cái quan trọng nhất"
=You often use thing to indicate to the person you are addressing that you are about to mention something important, or something that you particularly want them to know.
- One thing I am sure of was that she was scared.
- The first thing parents want to know is: will the baby survive?
- a holiday will be just the thing for you (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: một chuyến đi nghỉ chính là cái thích hợp nhất cho anh)
- to say the right thing (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: nói cái đúng)
- to say the wrong thing (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: nói cái sai)
- The funny thing is that the rest of us have known that for years.
- The most important thing to remember about fish is to buy it really fresh.
2.6. Mang nghĩa"đồ đạc, quần áo... của riêng cá nhân"
- Your things are your clothes or possessions.
- Sara told him to take all his things and not to return.
- put your things on and come for a walk (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: anh hãy mặc quần áo vào rồi đi chơi)
- Is there anything you'd like to borrow, before your own things are unpacked?