I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng danh từ"matter"
1."matter"vừa là danh từ đếm được vừa không đếm được
2. Cách dùng
2.1. Mang nghĩa"vấn đề"
=A matter is a task, situation, or event which you have to deal with or think about, especially one that involves problems.
- It was clear that she wanted to discuss some private matter.
- Until the matter is resolved, the athletes will be ineligible to compete.
- Don't you think this is now a matter for the police?
- I don't discuss private matters with my colleagues (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: tôi không bàn chuyện riêng tư với các đồng nghiệp (của tôi))
- Business matters drew him to Paris.
2.2. Mang nghĩa"việc, chuyện, là chuyện/vấn đề của"
=If you say that a situation is a matter of a particular thing, you mean that that is the most important thing to be done or considered when you are involved in the situation or explaining it/You use matter in expressions such as 'What's the matter?' or 'Is anything the matter?' when you think that someone has a problem and you want to know what it is.
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- Với nghĩa này, matter thường ở số ít
- be a matter of confidence, luck, waiting, etc = If something is a matter of confidence, luck, waiting, etc. that is all you need for it to happen
- History is always a matter of interpretation.
- Observance of the law is a matter of principle for us.
- After that, life became a matter of defying school rules. Jack had attended these meetings as a matter of routine for years
- It's no matter to me whether you arrive early or late (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: anh đến sớm hay muộn, đối với tôi không quan trọng)
- Carole, what's the matter? You don't seem happy.
- What's the matter with your office?
- She told him there was nothing the matter.
- Baking a cake isn't difficult - it's just a matter of following the recipe.
2.3. Mang nghĩa"tình hình"
=You use matters to refer to the situation you are talking about, especially when something is affecting the situation in some way/the situation being dealt with or being discussed
- The new system should improve matters.
- If it would facilitate matters, I would be happy to come to New York.
- Matters took an unexpected turn.
- Her resignation is not going to help matters.
- Three of our players were ill, and to make matters worse, our main scorer had broken his ankle.
2.4. Mang nghĩa"chủ đề, nội dung"
=a substance or things of a particular type
- Printed matter consists of books, newspapers, and other texts that are printed.
- Printed matter (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: ấn phẩm)
- Reading matter consists of things that are suitable for reading, such as books and newspapers.
- Better education created an ever-larger demand for printed matter.
- The matter of a poem (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: chủ đề của bài thơ)
- ...a rich variety of reading matter
- Do you find the subject matter of the book (= the subject that the book deals with) interesting?
2.5. Mang nghĩa"chất, vật chất"
=Matter is the physical part of the universe consisting of solids, liquids, and gases.
2.6. Mang nghĩa"khoảng ước lượng (thời gian, không gian, số lượng...)"
=You use matter in expressions such as 'a matter of weeks' when you are emphasizing how small an amount is or how short a period of time is/used in expressions describing how small an amount or period of time is
- Within a matter of days she was back at work.
- He expected to be at East Grinstead station in a matter of hours.
- A matter of six kilometers (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: khoảng độ sáu kilômét)
- This time the journey was short, a matter of four or five miles up into the hills.
- The interview was over in a matter of minutes.
- She complained he had short-changed her, but it was only a matter of a few pence.
2.7. Mang nghĩa"lí do, nguyên nhân bởi"
=the reason for pain, worry, or a problem
- What's the matter? Why are you crying?
- What's the matter with your hand? It's bleeding.
- Is anything the matter? I don't know what the matter is with the car, but it won't start.