I."line" là danh từ đếm được
II. Cách dùng danh từ"line"
1. Mang nghĩa"dây, dây thép"
=A line is a long thin mark which is drawn or painted on a surface/You can refer to a long piece of wire, string, or cable as a line when it is used for a particular purpose.
- Draw a line down that page's center.
- ...a dotted line.
- The ball had clearly crossed the line.
- She put her washing on the line.
- to hang the clothes on the line (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: phơi quần áo ra dây thép)
- ...a piece of fishing-line.
- The winds downed power lines.
2. Mang nghĩa"nếp nhăn"
=The lines on someone's skin, especially on their face, are long thin marks that appear there as they grow older.
- He has a large, generous face with deep lines.
- ...fine lines and wrinkles.
3. Mang nghĩa"đường, tuyến"
=A line is a route, especially a dangerous or secret one, along which people move or send messages or supplies/A railway line consists of the pieces of metal and wood which form the track that the trains travel along/A shipping, air, or bus line is a company which provides services for transporting people or goods by sea, air, or bus.
- The American continent's geography severely limited the lines of attack.
- Negotiators say they're keeping communication lines open.
- ...the guerrillas' main supply lines.
- Leaves on the line are an expensive problem for the railways.
- The Foreign Office offered to pay the shipping line all the costs of diverting the ship to Bermuda.
3. Mang nghĩa"cuộc hội thoại"
=A particular type of line in a conversation is a remark that is intended to have a particular effect.
- 'In time perhaps you'll marry again'. 'That's a great line, coming from you!'.
- ...chat-up lines like 'You've got beautiful eyes'.
4. Mang nghĩa"hàng, dòng (chữ); câu (thơ)"
=A line of a piece of writing is one of the rows of words, numbers, or other symbols in it/A line of a poem, song, or play is a group of words that are spoken or sung together.
- The next line should read: Five days, 23.5 hours.
- Tina wouldn't have read more than three lines
- to begin a new line (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: xuống dòng)
- just a line to let someone know that (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: mấy chữ để báo cho ai biết là)
- there are some beautiful lines in his poem (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: trong bài thơ của anh ta có một vài câu hay)
- If an actor learns his or her lines for a play or film, they learn what they have to say.
- ...a line from Shakespeare's Othello: 'one that loved not wisely but too well'.
- Every time I sing that line, I have to compete with that bloody trombone!
- Learning lines is very easy. Acting is very difficult.
5. Mang nghĩa"hàng, bậc, lối, dãy"
=The line in which something or someone moves is the particular route that they take, especially when they keep moving straight ahead/A line is a particular route, involving the same stations, roads, or stops along which a train or bus service regularly operates.
- Walk in a straight line.
- The wings were at right angles to the line of flight.
- They've got to ride all the way to the end of the line.
- to be on a line with (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: ở cùng hàng với, ngang hàng với)
- to stand in a line (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: đứng sắp hàng)
- Fires halted service on two commuter lines for several hours.
- I would be able to stay on the Piccadilly Line and get off the tube at South Kensington.
6. Mang nghĩa"xếp hàng"
=A line of people or things is a number of them arranged one behind the other or side by side.
- The sparse line of spectators noticed nothing unusual.
- A line of people or vehicles is a number of them that are waiting one behind another, for example in order to buy something or to go in a particular direction.
- Children clutching empty bowls form a line.
7. Mang nghĩa"ranh giới, giới hạn, biên giới"
=You can use line to refer to the edge, outline, or shape of an object or a person's body/A state or county line is a boundary between two states or counties.
- The garden has an informal feel to soften the architectural lines of the conservatory.
- ...a sculptured evening dress that follows the lines of the body.
- ...the California state line.
8. Mang nghĩa"phương châm, phương pháp, quy tắc, cách, thói, lối..."
=If something is organized on particular lines, or along particular lines, it is organized according to that method or principle.
- ...so-called autonomous republics based on ethnic lines.
- ...reorganising old factories to work along Japanese lines.
9. Mang nghĩa"chuyên môn, công việc, sở trường"
=Your line of business or work is the kind of work that you do /If someone says that something is your line, or that it is in your line, they mean that it is the sort of thing that you often do because you enjoy doing it.
- So what was your father's line of business?
- In my line of work I often get home too late for dinner.
- Wild guesses aren't much in my line.
- Perhaps doing voluntary work is more your line?
10. Mang nghĩa"mặt hàng, vật phẩm"
=A line is a particular type of product that a company makes or sells.
- His best selling line is the cheapest lager at £1.99.
11. Mang nghĩa"hoàn cảnh, tình thế; đường lối, cách tiến hành"
=The particular line that a person has towards a problem is the attitude that they have towards it.
- For example, if someone takes a hard line on something, they have a firm strict policy which they refuse to change.
- Forty members of the governing Conservative party rebelled, voting against the government line.
- Most members of Parliament took a hard line on this issue.
12. Mang nghĩa"đường dây điện thoại"
=A line is a connection which makes it possible for two people to speak to each other on the phone.
- The phone lines went dead.
- It's not a very good line.
- Shall we call you back Susan?
- a telephone line (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: đường dây điện thoại)
- She's on the line from her home in Boston.
- You can use line to refer to a phone number which you can ring in order to get information or advice.
- ...the 24-hours information line.
- ...details from Lesbian Line.
13. Mang nghĩa"phòng tuyến"
=You can use lines to refer to the set of physical defences or the soldiers that have been established along the boundary of an area occupied by an army.
14. Mang nghĩa"dòng suy nghĩ"
=You can use line to refer to the way in which someone's thoughts or activities develop, particularly if it is logical.
- Our discussion in the previous chapter continues this line of thinking.
- What are some of the practical benefits likely to be of this line of research?
15. Mang nghĩa"dây chuyền"
=In a factory, a line is an arrangement of workers or machines where a product passes from one worker to another until it is finished.
- ...a production line capable of producing three different products.
16. Mang nghĩa"gia phả, dòng họ"
=You can use line to refer to all the generations of a family, especially when you are considering the social status or the physical characteristics that the various members inherit.