I."high" là danh từ đếm được
II. Cách dùng
1. Mang nghĩa "độ cao; điểm cao"
=a period or situation in which something reaches its highest level / If something reaches a high of a particular amount or degree, that is the greatest it has ever been
- Temperatures today are expected to reach a high of 30 degrees.
- Attendances at football matches are at an all-time high.
- Traffic from Jordan to Iraq is down to a dozen loaded lorries a day, compared with a high of 200 a day.
- The price of oil reached an all-time high.
- Interest rates have reached an all-time/record high.
2. Mang nghĩa "cảm giác thích thú, thăng hoa"
=a feeling of great happiness or excitement / a period of extreme excitement or happiness when you feel full of energy, often caused by a feeling of success, or by drugs or alcohol or a religious experience
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- They’ve experienced both the highs and the lows of married life.
- The kids are on a high for days when the exams are over.
- Exercise gives you a high.
- She's been on a high ever since she got her article published in the Times.
- There are lots of highs and lows in this job.