Bên cạnh hướng dẫn kĩ càng sửa bài và phân tích đề thi ngày 22/8/2020 và bài thi của bạn HS IELTS TUTOR đi thi đạt 7.0 writing, hôm nay IELTS TUTOR hướng dẫn và tổng hợp Từ vựng, Idioms & Phrasal verb Topic Living with elderly people IELTS
I. Idioms Topic Living with elderly people IELTS
- Bitter pill to swallow
- Meaning: A difficult or unpleasant truth that one must accept.
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: On the one hand, living alongside the elderly may come over as irksome to some individuals. This is mainly because the old may lack the capacity for basic necessities, namely self-care, and hence may have to rely on other family members to have their needs met. This reality can be a bitter pill to swallow for some, and it may prove to be taxing for them, potentially even overwhelming their physical well-being
- Have your hands full - to be very busy or occupied. This idiom can be used to describe the challenges of caring for an elderly person.
- Carry the weight of the world - to feel a lot of responsibility or stress. This idiom can be used to describe how it feels to be the primary caregiver for an elderly person.
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: My mother is carrying the weight of the world as she is the primary caregiver for my elderly grandfather."
- A shoulder to cry on - someone who is willing to listen to your problems and offer support. This idiom can be used to describe how an elderly person can be a source of comfort and support for their younger relatives.
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: My grandfather is a shoulder to cry on. I can always count on him to listen to my problems and offer me support.
- A wealth of knowledge - a large amount of knowledge or experience. This idiom can be used to describe how an elderly person can share their wisdom and knowledge with their younger relatives.
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: My grandmother is a wealth of knowledge. I am so grateful for all the things she has taught me over the years.
- A burden to bear (something that is difficult or unpleasant to deal with)
- To be at the mercy of someone (to be completely dependent on someone else)
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: "My grandfather is at the mercy of my mother, who has to do everything for him."
- To be a source of comfort (to provide someone with relief or support)
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: "My grandfather is a source of comfort to me, especially when I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed."
II. Phrasal verb Topic Living with elderly people IELTS
- Lean on
- Meaning: To depend on someone for support, both physically and emotionally.
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: Particularly, residing with seniors may prove to be meritorious to an extent. They may serve as an efficacious source of reassurance. This is because of their life experiences, which enable them to lend us a sympathetic ear, especially during times of austerity, trials, and tribulations. For instance, whenever I feel overly stressed from work or relationships, I always lean on my grandfather for advice. It's very reassuring that he always lends me a sympathetic ear and shares a lot of his wisdom.
- Burnt out - exhausted or extremely tired, especially as a result of overwork or stress. This idiom can be used to describe how a caregiver might feel after taking care of an elderly person for a long period of time.
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: I am burnt out from taking care of my grandmother. It is a lot of work, but I am grateful for the opportunity to spend time with her.
- Take after: This means to be similar to someone, especially in appearance or personality.
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: My grandfather is still quite independent, but he's starting to take after my grandmother, who was always forgetful
- Look after: This means to take care of someone or something.
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: My mother is looking after my grandfather while he's recovering from surgery.
- Care for: This means to feel concern or affection for someone.
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: My mother cares deeply for my grandfather and is determined to provide him with the best possible care.
III. Ideas Topic Living with elderly people IELTS
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- Less room for parties and home events
- Old people might be talkative and wordy>> IELTS TUTOR hướng dẫn Từ vựng về tính cách của con người trong Tiếng Anh
- They might interfere in your personal affairs
- Their timetable may not be synchronised with your daily schedule, and you might be reluctant to make a change