I. Ideas topic PRIZE / COMPETITION
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- Monetary rewards can motivate employees to perform their best at work and strive to achieve the company’s goals >> IELTS TUTOR hướng dẫn Cách dùng động từ"motivate"tiếng anh
- Made a tremendous effort
- The great efforts I had made was not in vain
- Sports competitions
- The academic prize
- Cooperate and coordinate with team members better
- They should get plenty of prizes from either academics or sports
- They will show interest and raise their participation in the everyday classroom tasks, responsibilities and learning.
- The significance of prize and competition should never be maximized because it tends to exert heavy burdens on children, thus negatively influencing their mental wellbeing.
- The desire to win a prize can inspire students to do their best. >> IELTS TUTOR hướng dẫn Cách dùng - paraphrase & word form của từ "aspire"
- When they have the sense of competition, they tend to be more inquisitive, strive to do more than is required and learn to work with others.
- These abilities prepare them for future situations throughout their lives.
- The rewards should be limited.
- Excessive rewards may result in the fact that students become addicted to rewards.
- They will lose their effect and students will no longer be motivated or inspired to work harder.
- The ‘employee of the year’ award
- The company directors give this award to a member of staff who has made an outstanding contribution to the business over the previous twelve months
- We don’t have an exact definition of what this means, but we assume that you have to achieve certain standards, such as 100% attendance, good punctuality, meeting targets and deadlines, good teamwork, and so on.
- My work had been recognised by the company directors, and this would definitely help me to progress in my career. It would also give me a great sense of personal achievement.
- Some school teachers use competitions as class activities in order to bring out the best in their students, as well as to realize their full academic potential
- The sense of healthy competition among the students, if used effectively, will help them remain engaged and interested in their lessons
- It is particularly productive for teachers and the school authorities to offer prizes to children who do well at school primarily because the practice goes against the spirit of healthy competition
- Those who fail to receive prizes, generally feel inferior to the prize-receiving children, which certainly is not good for the tender minds of those young children
- Children should be encouraged to do well, with or without prizes because they should be able to understand that there just may not be prizes always for the things they will do in their lives when they grow up.
- It was obviously a huge challenge, but I dedicated myself to it >> Tham khảo thêm các từ vựng liên quan đến topic Challenge mà IELTS TUTOR đã tổng hợp
- I still wanted to give it my best shot
- just finishing the marathon would be a tremendous victory
- I happened to ﬁnd out about this place last year and I really want to give them a hand to help cover their education.
- There are so many diﬀerent ways to give incentives for children at school
- Rewards should be something which can create meaningful moments and that have a lasting impact on a child
- I don’t like the idea of kids thinking that they will only study hard if there is a prize. What parents should do is to let their children develop their intrinsic motivation.
- Children themselves should ﬁnd fun and excitement in exploring the world and learning new things
- Parents need to stop raising their children with the principle that they must beat everyone else in the class
- If parents try to push their children too hard, this will have a negative eﬀect on children’s mental health
- They may feel stressed and cannot study with ease. >> IELTS TUTOR hướng dẫn Cách dùng tính từ "equal" tiếng anh
- Studying just for prizes
- They will gradually realize their strengths and weaknesses so that they can work hard to improve themselves and prepare to perform better in the next competition, which helps them build up “self-esteem”.
- A lesson will be learnt that competition is not just about winning but it’s also about failure
- Losing will teach children to self-reﬂect and push them ahead for improvement in the future.
- Many parents push their children to do extra homework rather than letting them play with friends.
II. Từ vựng topic PRIZE / COMPETITION
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- Competition (n) /ˌkɑːmpəˈtɪʃn/: Cuộc thi, sự cạnh tranh
- Contest (n) /ˈkɑːntest/: Cuộc tranh luận, cuộc thi đấu
- Enter (v) /ˈentər/ = Take part in (v): Vào, tham gia
- Eloquence (n) /ˈeləkwəns/: Sự hùng biện
- Participant (n) /pɑːrˈtɪsɪpənt/: Người tham gia
- Public speaker (n): Người thuyết trình
- Prize (n) /praɪz: Giải thưởng
- Result (n) /rɪˈzʌlt/: Kết quả Idea (n) /aɪˈdiːə/: Ý tưởng
- Speech (n) /spiːtʃ/: Bài diễn văn
- inter-department /ɪnˈtə dɪˈpɑːtm(ə)nt/ giữa các phòng ban
- good repute /ɡʊd rɪˈpjuːt/ danh tiếng notify /ˈnəʊtɪfʌɪ/ thông báo
- disappoint /dɪsəˈpɔɪnt/ gây thất vọng
- unethical /ʌnˈɛθɪk(ə)l/ thiếu đạo đức
- overdrive /ˈəʊvədrʌɪv/ sự làm quá
- abuse /əˈbjuːz/ lạm dụng
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: I think that it is possible to become too competitive in sports since some players would want to win at any cost even if it means using some unethical means to achieve their goals. That’s exactly why we constantly hear news of performance enhancing drugs, used by some athletes, almost on a regular basis. In fact, it is because of this type of competitive overdrive that we see players abusing each other physically and verbally on the fields, which is absolutely unacceptable behaviour by any standards.
- prime /prʌɪm/ quan trọng nhất
- hone /həʊn/ cải thiện (kỹ năng)
- Tip (n) /tɪp/: Mẹo, thủ thuật
- Rehearse (v) /rɪˈhɜːrs/: Tổng duyệt
- Material (n) /məˈtɪriəl/: Tài liệu
- Inform (v) /ɪnˈfɔːrm/: Thông báo >> IELTS TUTOR hướng dẫn PHÂN TÍCH ĐỀ THI 30/5/2020 IELTS WRITING TASK 2 (kèm bài sửa HS đạt 6.5)
- Opinion (n) /əˈpɪnjən/: Quan điểm
- Useful (adj) /ˈjuːsfl/: Hữu ích, bổ ích
- Confident (adj) /ˈkɑːnfɪdənt/: Tự tin
- Contest (/kən'test/): cuộc thi, thi đấu (n)
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: speaking contest , beauty contest
- Contestant /kən'testənt/: người dự thi, người tranh giải (n)
- bring out /brɪŋ aʊt/ đưa ra, lôi ra
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: Some school teachers use competitions as class activities in order to bring out the best in their students, as well as to realize their full academic potential. Besides, they believe that the sense of healthy competition among the students, if used effectively, will help them remain engaged and interested in their lessons, not only in the schools but also at home since children just love winning things.
- healthy competition /ˈhɛlθi /kɒmpɪˈtɪʃ(ə)n/ cạnh tranh lành mạnh
- engage /ˌɒ̃ɡaˈʒeɪ/ thích thú, hứng thú
- Pageant /'pædʤənt/ cuộc thi (sắc đẹp) (n)
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: beauty pageant
- Competition /,kɔmpi'tiʃn/: cuộc thi đấu, tranh đấu, cuộc cạnh tranh (n)
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: school competition, swimming competition
- Compete /kəm'pi:t/: cạnh tranh, tranh đua (v)
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: to compete with someone: cạnh tranh, đua tài với ai
- Race /reis/: cuộc đua, cuộc chạy đua (n)
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: marathon race
- Championship /'tʃæmpjənʃip/: giải đấu giành chức vô địch (trong thể thao) (n)
- Tournament /'tuənəmənt/: giải đấu, trong đó người tham dự tham gia các cuộc thi đấu để đến với giải thưởng cuối cùng. (n)
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: golf tournament, tennis tournament
- Match /mætʃ/: trận thi đấu (n)
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: football match
- Final /'fainl/: trận chung kết, chung kết cuộc thi (n)
- IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: basketball final, World Cup final
- Semi-final /'semi'fainl/: bán kết (n)
- productive /prəˈdʌktɪv/ có năng suất, có lợi
- go against /ɡəʊ əˈɡɛnst/ đi ngược lại
- inferior /ɪnˈfɪərɪə/ thấp kém
- tender /ˈtɛndə/ mềm mỏng
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: I don’t necessarily think that it is particularly productive for teachers and the school authorities to offer prizes to children who do well at school primarily because the practice goes against the spirit of healthy competition. In fact, those who fail to receive prizes, generally feel inferior to the prize-receiving children, which certainly is not good for the tender minds of those young children. Besides, children should be encouraged to do well, with or without prizes because they should be able to understand that there just may not be prizes always for the things they will do in their lives when they grow up.
- Quarter-final /'kwɔ:tə'fainl/: tứ kết (n)
- Runner-up /'rʌnər'ʌp/: người đứng thứ nhì, đội đứng thứ nhì trong trận chung kết (n)
- Prize /prize/: phần thưởng, giải thưởng (n)
- First/second/third place winner: người thắng giải nhất/nhì/ba
- Consolation prize: giải khuyến khích
- Gold medal: huy chương vàng
- Silver medal: huy chương bạc
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: I would say that schools for young children have become more competitive since I was of the same age primarily because of the commercialization of education in general. Besides, the children and their parents these days have bigger expectations from schools, in terms of more tests and more activities, even if it means compromising with the quality of education as well as the quality of after-school life of young children.
- commercialization /kəməːʃ(ə)lʌɪˈzeɪʃ(ə)n/ sự thương mại hoá
- compromise /ˈkɒmprəmʌɪz/ thoả hiệp
- Bronze medal: huy chương đồng
- nurture /ˈnəːtʃə/ nuôi dưỡng
- prove /pruːv/ chứng tỏ
- rejoice /rɪˈdʒɔɪs/ hân hoan
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: Feeling a certain degree of insecurity in our society is real whether there is a competition or not. Therefore, in my opinion, when there is a competition, it is only natural that the athletes will nurture feelings of insecurity because they try to prove something to someone by performing better than others. Unfortunately, that very pressure makes it so that failures feel much bigger than their successes. So I believe that healthy competition should be encouraged in a positive way to bring out the best among the athletes, and they should be motivated to rejoice in their personal successes.
- Judge /'ʤʌʤ/: giám khảo cuộc thi (n)
- generous /ˈdʒɛn(ə)rəs/ hào phóng
- inflict /ɪnˈflɪkt/ gây ra, đặt (tác hại) lên đâu
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ: There are a number of advantages of intensive training programs for young sports people, but the main one is that it helps them become physically and mentally tough to face the challenges in the real world. These training programs also help bring great team spirit among the young people by making them more helpful and generous to others in general. However, one of the major disadvantages of such intensive programs is that they can inflict serious bodily injuries, sometimes life-threatening, on young people. The young people may also suffer from a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety due to the serious nature of these intensive training.
- suffer /ˈsʌfə/ chịu đựng
- Performance /pə'fɔ:məns/ phần trình diễn (n
III. Hội thoại topic PRIZE / COMPETITION
A: What is the most impressive competition you’ve entered? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Cuộc thi ấn tượng nhất mà bạn đã tham gia là gì?)
B: I took part in an eloquence competition, organized by my university last year. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Tôi đã tham gia cuộc thi hùng biện, được tổ chức bởi trường đại học của tôi vào năm ngoái)
A: What was it about? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Nó là về điều gì?)>> IELTS TUTOR hướng dẫn Sửa bài IELTS SPEAKING PART 1-2-3 topic Work/Study(Sửa & Làm lại 4 lần - HS đạt 7.5)
B: The competition was to find out the best public speaker in the university. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Cuộc thi là để tìm ra người thuyết trình tốt nhất tại trường đại học)
A: Were there many participants in the competition? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Có nhiều người tham gia cuộc thi không?)
B: Yes, there were around 500 participants totally. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Có, tổng cộng có khoảng 500 người tham gia)
A: What prize did you get? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Bạn nhận được giải gì?)
B: Well, I didn’t get a very high prize, but it didn’t matter, I was still happy with the result. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Tôi không nhận được giải cao, nhưng đó không phải là vấn đề, tôi vẫn vui với kết quả đó)
A: What could you learn from the competition? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Bạn có thể học được gì từ cuộc thi?)
B: I learned the way to develop ideas for a speech beside some body language tips in public speaking. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Tôi đã học được cách phát triển ý tưởng cho bài diễn thuyết bên cạnh một vài mẹo về sử dụng ngôn ngữ cơ thể khi nói trước đám đông)
A: Did you have to prepare a lot for the competition? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Bạn có phải chuẩn bị nhiều cho cuộc thi không?)
B: Yes, I did. I read various materials about eloquence, as well as rehearsed a lot. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Có. Tôi đã đọc nhiều tài liệu về hùng biện, cũng như tập duyệt nhiều lần)
A: How did you know about the competition? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Bạn biết tới cuộc thi như thế nào?)
B: The competition was informed in the school poster.(IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Cuộc thi được thông báo trên Poster của trường)
A: Did you do your best then? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Bạn đã cố gắng hết sức rồi phải không?)
B: Yes, I think so. After the competition, I know I have to try more. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Tôi nghĩ vậy. Sau cuộc thi, tôi biết tôi phải cố gắng hơn nữa)
A: Is the competition useful, in your opinion? (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Theo bạn thì cuộc thì bổ ích chứ?)
B: Sure. It helps students learn soft skills as well as become more confident in life. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Chắc chắn rồi. Nó giúp sinh viên học kỹ năng mềm cũng như tự tin hơn trong cuộc sống).