I. Dùng"token"như noun
1."token"là danh từ đếm được
2. Cách dùng
2.1. Mang nghĩa"dấu hiệu, biểu hiện"
=If you give something to a person or do something for them as a token of your feelings, you give it or do it as a way of expressing those feelings.
- He kept sending gifts and assured her that they were merely small tokens of his appreciation.
- As a token of goodwill, I'm going to write another letter.
- as a token of our gratitude (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: như là một biểu hiện của lòng biết ơn của chúng tôi)
- ...the custom of exchanging love tokens to celebrate February 14.
- As a token of our gratitude for all that you have done, we would like you to accept this small gift.
- It doesn't have to be a big present - it's just a token.
2.2. Mang nghĩa"vật dẹp tròn nhỏ giống như đồng xu (dùng để hoạt động một số máy nhất định hoặc làm hình thức thanh toán)"
=A token is a round flat piece of metal or plastic that is sometimes used instead of money.
- Some of the older telephones still only accept tokens.
- a £20 book/gift/record token
II. Dùng"token"như adj
Mang nghĩa"chiếu lệ, qua loa(có hình thức mà thôi), cho có"
=Token actions are done to show that you are doing something, even if the results are limited in their effect:
- The announcement was widely seen as a token gesture.
- Miners have staged a two-hour token stoppage to demand better pay and conditions.
- Our troops encountered only token resistance.
- She is just a token woman on the committee. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Trong cái ủy ban này, vai trò của cô ta chỉ cho có thôi)
- The truth is that they appoint no more than a token number of women to managerial jobs.
- The troops in front of us either surrendered or offered only token (= not much) resistance.
- They were the only country to argue for even token recognition of the Baltic states' independence.