I. Dùng "public" như adj
1. Mang nghĩa "thuộc về hoặc liên quan đến mọi người nói chung; chung; công cộng"
= involving a lot of people, or involving people in general / available for people in general to use
- a public meeting/inquiry/hearing
- public transport
- a public library
- the city’s attractive public spaces
- There has been a public outcry about her imprisonment.
- The scheme has a lot of public support.
- a public nuisance/hazard
2. Mang nghĩa "do chính quyền cung cấp; công; công cộng"
=owned by the government, not by a private company
- The damage was restored using public money.
- public organizations
3. Mang nghĩa "công khai"
= used about things that most people know about because they are not private or secret / relating to the part of your life that people in general know about, for example your work, rather than your life at home
- Can we go somewhere a little less public?
- a very public display of unity
- the decision to make the results public
- She keeps her public and private lives very separate.
II. Dùng "public" như noun
Mang nghĩa "công chúng, quần chúng"
=people of a particular type
- the British public công chúng Anh
- the public is /are not allowed to enter the court room (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: công chúng không được phép vào phòng xử án)
- to appeal to the public (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: kêu gọi quần chúng)
- It is clear that the attack did not have the support of the American public.
- Privatizing the railways was not in the best interests of the travelling public.
- The house was first opened to the public in the 1950s.
- The public wants tougher sentences for terrorists.
- The regulations should be written in plain English that the public understands.
- The police should be trained to deal politely with members of the public.
- Misconceptions about mental illness are common among the general public.