I. Dùng"though"như adv (trạng từ) & liên từ phụ thuộc
=used for introducing a statement that makes your main statement seem surprising
- Though we are only a small country, we have a long and glorious history.
- The journey, though difficult, involved no real danger.
- Though they lack official support , they continue their struggle (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: dù không được chính quyền ủng hộ, họ vẫn tiếp tục đấu tranh)
- He went on fighting even though he was wounded.
- Poor though her family was, they would never ask for help (Có thể dùng though + adj)
- Odd though it may seem, I never found out his name.
II. Dùng"though"như conjunction (liên từ) (trong văn nói)
Mang nghĩa"cơ mà, thế cơ mà"
=used when adding a statement or question that seems surprising after the previous statement or that makes the previous statement seem less true
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- It’s a bit like a crossword puzzle – more complicated, though.
- ‘The Savoy’s a very nice hotel.’ ‘Isn’t it rather expensive, though?’
- The local food is delicious. A word of warning though – avoid the salads.
- I'll try to come , though I doubt if I'll be there on time (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: tôi sẽ cố gắng đến, tuy tôi e rằng không biết tôi có đến kịp giờ hay không)
- He'll probably say no , though it's worth trying (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: có thể nó sẽ trả lời không, tuy vậy vẫn nên thử xem)