I. "distinguish" vừa là nội động từ, vừa là ngoại động từ
II. Cách dùng
1. Mang nghĩa "phân biệt, nhận ra"
=If you can distinguish one thing from another or distinguish between two things, you can see or understand how they are different / If you can distinguish something, you can see, hear, or taste it although it is very difficult to detect.
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- Could he distinguish right from wrong?
- Research suggests that babies learn to see by distinguishing between areas of light and dark.
- It is necessary to distinguish the policies of two successive governments.
- There were cries, calls. He could distinguish voices
- The male is distinguished (from the female ) by its red beak (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: con đực phân biệt được (với con cái) nhờ cái mỏ đỏ)
- Speech distinguishes human being from the animals (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: tiếng nói (giúp) phân biệt người với loài vật)
- He learned to distinguish the songs of different birds.
- They concluded that even three-year-olds are able to distinguish between causes and effects.
- It’s very difficult to distinguish satire from other types of comedy.
2. Mang nghĩa "là dấu hiệu đặc trưng của ai/cái gì"
=A feature or quality that distinguishes one thing from another causes the two things to be regarded as different, because only the first thing has the feature or quality.
- There is something about music that distinguishes it from all other art forms.
- The bird has no distinguishing features
- There is very little to distinguish it from the hundreds of other websites devoted to this subject.
3. Mang nghĩa "tạo dấu ấn, tạo điểm nhấn"
=If you distinguish yourself, you do something that makes you famous or important.
- Over the next few years he distinguished himself as a leading constitutional scholar.
- They distinguished themselves at the Battle of Assaye.
- She distinguished herself by her coolness and bravery (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: cô ấy nổi bật nhờ tính trầm lặng và lòng can đảm của mình)