I. "devastate" là ngoại động từ
II. Cách dùng
Mang nghĩa "tàn phá, phá huỷ"
=to seriously damage or completely destroy something
- Western India was devastated by a huge earthquake. to make someone feel very shocked and upset
- Mary’s sisters were devastated by her disappearance.
- It soon became starkly evident that the climate change would devastate our economy and our society if we remain ignoring it. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Chẳng bao lâu, điều trở nên hoàn toàn rõ ràng là biến đổi khí hậu sẽ tàn phá xã hội và nền kinh tế của chúng ta nếu chúng ta vẫn cứ lờ nó đi)
- Waves of corporate downsizing have devastated employee morale.
- I was so devastated I was crying constantly.
- The town was devastated by a hurricane in 1928.
- A few days before, a fire had devastated large parts of Windsor Castle