Bên cạnh hướng dẫn các bạn Từ vựng & Cấu trúc qua bài báo Boom! BTS ‘Dynamite’ Video Crushes YouTube Premiere Viewing Record (Variety) & PHÂN TÍCH ĐỀ THI 30/5/2020 IELTS WRITING TASK 2 (kèm bài sửa HS đạt 6.5), IELTS TUTOR hướng dẫn cách dùng từ LACK trong tiếng anh
I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng
1. Cách dùng LACK như NOUN
Mang nghĩa"thiếu hụt"
=a situation in which you do not have any, or enough, of something that you need or want
IELTS TUTOR lưu ý:
- Lack vừa là danh từ đếm được số ít, vừa là danh từ không đếm được
- lack of sth : Dùng LACK đi với of và noun
- A lack of ambition/confidence/knowledge
- A lack of money
- for lack of something
Cùng IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- Her only problem is a lack of confidence.
- The match was cancelled because of lack of support.
- Most of his problems stem from a lack of confidence.
- The court case was dismissed for lack of evidence.
- We couldn’t find her passport, but it wasn’t for lack of trying (=we tried hard to find it).
- Lack of sleep had made him irritable.
- The plant died for lack of water (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: cây chết vì thiếu nước)
- If he fails it won't be for/through lack of effort (= he has certainly tried).
- His answer demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of the question.
- One disadvantage of living in the town is the lack of safe places for the children to play.
- Hospitals are being forced to close departments because of lack of money.
- There is a lack of reasonably priced housing for rent.
- The local residents were angry at the lack of parking spaces.
2. Lack dùng như ĐỘNG TỪ (VERB)
Mang nghĩa"thiếu hụt"
=to not have any or enough of something that you need or want
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- What we lack in this house is space to store things.
- He’s totally lacking a sense of humor.
- He lacked the skills required for the job.
- The play was good in parts but generally the acting lacked sparkle.
- Most of the candidates had the right qualifications but lacked the necessary skills.
- He just lacks a little confidence.
- I lack words to express my joy (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: tôi không đủ lời để diễn tả hết niềm vui của tôi)
- We are lacking three members of staff due to illness.
- They lack manly qualities. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Họ thiếu phẩm chất người đàn ông)
- Children lack parental care. (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: Những trẻ em thiếu sự chăm sóc của cha mẹ)
- They've won a few matches this season but they lack consistency.
- They lack basic foodstuffs, such as bread and milk.
- The town lacks leisure facilities such as a swimming pool or squash courts.
- Joshua clearly has ability in this subject but he lacks application.