I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Cách dùng tính từ"close"tiếng anh
1. Mang nghĩa"gần về không gian hoặc thời gian"
=only a short distance away, or separated by only a short distance/only a short time away, or separated by only a short time
- We can walk to the swimming pool – it’s quite close.
- The hotel is close to the centre of town.
- He had a cruel face with eyes that were too close together.
- The area is in close proximity to a huge shopping centre.
- He had observed President Roosevelt at close quarters and absorbed many of his techniques.
- I only need my glasses for close work such as sewing.
- You can’t go to the party; it’s too close to your exams.
- The two bank holidays are quite close together in May.
2. Mang nghĩa"sắp"
=likely to happen soon or to do something soon
- Everyone believes that a peace deal is close.
- By the end of the race he was close to collapse.
- We’re closer to signing a contract after today’s meeting.
3. Mang nghĩa"chặt chẽ, xít xao, cẩn thận"
=careful and involving attention to every detail
- I’ll take a closer look at your homework tomorrow.
- Fowler’s research has come under close scrutiny.
- The local police kept a close eye on his activities.
4. Mang nghĩa"ở mức độ cao"
=similar to someone or something else but not exactly the same
- That’s not exactly the colour I want, but it’s close.
- The sensation is close to the feeling of floating.
- She bears a close resemblance to her mother.
- That’s the closest thing to an apology you’re going to get from Drew.
5. Mang nghĩa"gần gũi, thân thiết"
=connected by shared interests and shared feelings such as love and respect/used about relationships close family ties
- My brother and I are very close.
- Jamal and I have been close friends since we were six.
- She’s close to both her parents.
- a close personal relationship
6. Mang nghĩa"quan hệ họ hàng"
=related to you directly, for example by being your parent, child, brother, or sister
- He has no close relatives.
7. Mang nghĩa"thân cận"
=directly involved with someone and communicating with them a lot, especially as part of your job/used about activities or relationships
- a close business associate
- Sources close to the Prime Minister say he is ready to make a deal.
- We’ve always worked in close cooperation with the local authority.
- We don’t share an office any more, but we still keep in close contact.
8. Mang nghĩa"gần đúng, sắp đến mức nào"
=nearly correct/if something is close to a particular amount, number, level etc, it is almost that amount, number, level etc
- ‘I’d say you were about 35.’ ‘You’re close! I’m 37.’
- Unemployment on the island is close to 12 per cent.
- He’s close on 50.
9. Mang nghĩa"(về một cuộc đua, trò chơi...) gồm các đấu thủ ngang sức với nhau"
=won or settled by only a few points, votes etc
- The game was close, but Real Madrid eventually won.
- The next election will be a close contest.
- a close contest /election (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: cuộc thi/bầu cử ngang tài ngang sức)
- a close finish (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: một kết thúc xít xao)
- The game was closer than the score suggests (IELTS TUTOR giải thích: cuộc đấu gay go hơn tỉ số đưa ra)
- Irvine won the race, with Schumacher a close second.