I. Diminish vừa là nội động từ, vừa là ngoại động từ
II. Cách dùng
1. Mang nghĩa "giảm bớt; thu nhỏ"
=to reduce or be reduced in size or importance/When something diminishes, or when something diminishes it, it becomes reduced in size, importance, or intensity.
IELTS TUTOR xét ví dụ:
- The threat of nuclear war has diminished.
- Federalism is intended to diminish the power of the central state.
- Universities are facing grave problems because of diminishing resources.
- This could mean diminished public support for the war.
- These memories will not be diminished by time.
- We've seen our house diminish greatly/sharply/substantially in value over the last six months.
- The threat of inflation is diminishing.
- A single-payer system would diminish the bureaucratic cost of health care.
2. Mang nghĩa "dìm hàng"
=If you diminish someone or something, you talk about them or treat them in a way that makes them appear less important than they really are.
- He never put her down or diminished her.
- He could no longer cope; he relied on me, and felt diminished by it.
- to diminish someone's powers giảm bớt quyền hành của ai
- I don't want to diminish her achievements, but she did have a lot of help.
- What he did has seriously diminished him in many people's eyes.